Chicken & Biscuits Bake
This time-honored family favorite won Grandma a blue ribbon at the local county fair.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves (about 5 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried thyme and paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas and carrots
- 1 (12-ounce) can refrigerated biscuits
- 1 Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cut chicken-breast halves into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 2 Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, thyme, paprika and pepper.
- 3 Cook until chicken is browned, about 5 minutes. Combine 1/4 cup chicken broth with flour in small bowl; stir until smooth. Set aside.
- 4 Add remaining chicken broth to skillet; bring to a boil. Gradually add flour mixture, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Simmer 5 minutes.
- 5 Add peas and carrots; continue cooking 2 minutes. Transfer to 1 1/2-quart casserole; top with the biscuits.
- 6 Bake until biscuits are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove casserole from oven. Serve chicken with additional warm biscuits, if desired.
Variation: For faster cleanup, use an ovenproof skillet to cook the chicken in and omit the 1 1/2-quart casserole. Place biscuits directly on chicken-and-vegetable mixture and bake as directed.